Score: James Madison 3, VCU 1 (25-12, 25-15, 22-25, 25-11)
Location: Harrisonburg, Va. (Sinclair Gymnasium)
Records: VCU 6-5, James Madison 6-4
The short story: VCU senior opposite Gina Tuzzolo (Newport News, Va.) blasted 10 kills, but James Madison ran past the Rams Tuesday night in Harrisonburg, Va.
- Tuzzolo was one of few bright spots for VCU Tuesday night. She hit .222 on 27 attempts and was credited with three blocks
- Senior middle blocker Jasmin Sneed (San Antonio, Texas) led VCU with five blocks. She also contributed four kills
- Senior outside Kat Young (Chantilly, Va.) added nine kills and four blocks for the Black & Gold, while senior libero Madison Simpson (Louisville, Ky.) provided 12 digs
- Sophia Davis led three James Madison players in double figures with 14 kills. She also kicked in six blocks.
- JMU jumped out to a 16-4 lead in the opening set and never looked back
- The Dukes hit .290 on the night and outdug VCU 66-44
- VCU hit just .050 in the match and recorded a sideout percentage of 46.9
Tuesday's match marked VCU's first visit to Harrisonburg since the 2011 season, when the Rams and Dukes were members of the Colonial Athletic Association. VCU and JMU met 57 times from 1980-2011, but have played just twice since. The Rams topped the Dukes 3-2 last season in Richmond
VCU will play in the Carolina Classic, hosted by North Carolina, Sept. 20-21. The Rams will open against the host Tar Heels on Friday at 6:30 p.m.