Tournament: VCU Invitational
Score: UCSB 3, VCU 2 (25-23, 21-25, 21-25, 25-22, 15-13)
Location: Richmond, Va. (Siegel Center)
Records: VCU 4-3, UCSB 5-1
The short story: Senior opposite Gina Tuzzolo (Newport News, Va.) led VCU with 13 kills, but it wasn't enough to hold off a dramatic comeback by visiting UC Santa Barbara Saturday night in the finale of the VCU Invitational.
- Tuzzolo was one of three Rams to record double-digit kills. She also provided three blocks
- Senior Vicky Giommarini (Rome, Italy) added 12 kills, 15 digs, five blocks and a service ace for VCU, while junior Paula Neciporuka (Kuldiga, Latvia) kicked in 11 kills
- On the back row, senior Madalon Simpson (Louisville, Ky.) recorded 18 digs for the Black and Gold
- UCSB's Vivao Romoni led all players with 20 kills and also supplied 17 digs and four blocks
- UCSB used a 5-0 burst to take control of the fifth set 14-12. Torre Glasker spiked two kills during the match-shifting run. Moments later, Deni Wilson clinched the match for the Gauchos with a kill
- The Gauchos rallied back from a 14-11 deficit to capture the first set 25-23. UCSB later trailed 2-1 in the match before grabbing the fourth and fifth frames in dramatic fashion
- The Rams hit just .105 in the fifth set
- The loss snapped VCU's three-match win streak
- Tuzzolo was named to the All-Tournament Team for her efforts
- The fifth set featured seven ties and seven lead changes
VCU will host Virginia Tech on Tuesday, Sept. 10 at the Siegel Center. That match is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m.