Score: VCU 3, Dayton 1 (18-25, 25-17, 25-22, 25-22)
Location: Dayton, Ohio (Frericks Center)
Records: VCU 9-7 (4-0 A-10), Dayton (12-5, 3-1 A-10)
The short story: Junior middle blocker Jasmin Sneed dominated both on offense and defense to spark VCU in a critical Atlantic 10 Conference road win Sunday at Dayton. The Rams' victory snapped the Flyers 34-match home win streak against league foes.
- Sneed blasted 13 kills on 21 swings and also provided seven blocks and a service ace. She hit .476 in the match
- Junior opposite Gina Tuzzolo added 11 kills and hit .381 with three blocks for the Rams, while senior outside hitter Julia Adler contributed 10 kills and five blocks
- The VCU offense hit .210 as junior setters Dajah Ard and Tyler Sroufe combined for 40 assists. Sroufe and freshman libero Alyna Draper also contributed 11 digs apiece
- Lauren Bruns and Brooke Westbeld recorded 12 kills each for Dayton
- VCU outblocked Dayton 11.5 to 8.0 and served up nine aces
- Tuzzolo keyed a crucial 7-0 run midway through the third set with two kills and a block in one three-play sequence. That burst provided VCU with a 22-17 lead on the way to a 25-22 victory and a 2-1 match lead
- It was Tuzzolo again in the fourth that helped tip the scales in VCU's favor with a kill and a block to spark a 4-0 burst that supplied the Rams with a 20-16 cushion
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- VCU has won 20 straight matches against A-10 opponents
- Dayton last dropped a conference match at the Frericks Center on Sept. 29, 2013, when it fell to Saint Louis 3-2
- The Rams racked up 20 service aces in two matches this weekend
VCU heads to Davidson on Saturday, Oct. 6 for a 6 p.m. match.