Meet: Nittany Lion Challenge
Location: State College, Pa.
Results: Nittany Lion Challenge
The Short Story: VCU's Women's Track & Field team opened their 2020 Indoor season at the Nittany Lion Challenge on Saturday.
How It Happened
- Junior Courtney Higgins earned a third-place finish and set a personal best in the high jump, posting a leap of 1.64m. Freshman Dasia Mayo (1.64m high jump) would follow behind Higgins with a fourth-place finish and a collegiate best of her own
- Sophomore Shannon Moise placed fourth in the shot put with a throw of 14.14m while junior Mykayla McGowan followed behind her with a fifth-place finish and a toss of 13.78m. Moise recorded personal bests in the event
- Senior Ashley Brown set a personal record in the mile with a time of 5:02.75 while also securing a fourth-place finish
- McGowan secured a personal best throw of 16.09m to place sixth in the weight throw. Moise also earned a personal best in the event
- In her first meet as a Ram, freshmen Lauryn Freeman finished eighth in the 60-meter hurdles, posting a time of 8.88 in the finals. Teammate, Syvanna Metcalfe also ran a personal best in the 60 hurdles. The pair of Freeman and Metcalfe would go on to secure personal records in the 200-meters earning times of 25.79 and 25.97 respectively
- Freshman distance runner Kassandra Aulenbach recorded a personal record in the 3,000m
- Syvanna Metcalfe, Yasmine Silmon, Ashley Brown and Lauryn Freeman secured a top-five finish in the 4x400-meter relay
The Rams will compete in the Hokie Invitational in Blacksburg, Va. on Friday, Jan. 17 and Saturday, Jan. 18.