The Short Story: VCU's Women's Track & Field team opened their 2019 Indoor season with a strong showing at the Virginia Tech Invitational this weekend.
How It Happened (Day One)
- Senior Camora Sanders earned a first place finish after recording a 17.76m toss in the Women's Weight Throw. Her toss set a new personal and school record.
- Junior Emily Mulhern took home first place in the 3000m, posting a time of 9:53.90. Her time was almost 20 seconds faster than the second place finisher.
- Sophomore Aliyah Newman won the Triple Jump on Friday after posting a leap of 12.12m.
- Senior Nichelle Scott earned a second place finish after posting a time of 5:00.82 in the 1-Mile. Junior Ashley Brown placed sixth in the event, finishing with a time of 5:12.86.
- Freshman Channelle Hodges set a new personal best when she placed fourth in the 500m, while junior Kara Lyles placed fifth, posting times of 1:15.96 and 1:16.41 respectively.
How It Happened (Day Two)
- Sanders placed second in the Shot Put after recording a new personal record 14.61m toss. She also won the weight throw on day one.
- Junior Janelle Cheatham finished in third place in the Long Jump, posting a 5.51m leap to set a new personal best.
- VCU's 4x400m Relay team brought home a third place finish after seniors Nichelle Scott and Taylor Watkins and juniors Asiah Robinson and Kara Lyles finished with a time of 3:49.38.
The Rams will be back in action on Friday, Jan. 18 when they travel to Lexington, Va. for the VMI Keydet Invitational.