Meet: George Mason Spring Invitational
Location: Fairfax, Va.
The Short Story: With 135 total points, VCU's women earned first place at the George Mason Invitational. The team won six events, and a host of Rams set personal bests during the single day meet.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU's relay teams stepped up with two first place finishes. First, Latrice Morris, Alexis Willis, De'Nisha Smith, and Taylor Watkins grabbed the gold in the 4x100 with a 46.10 time. Later, Watkins would be joined by Kara Lyles, Candice James, and Ashley Greenlee to secure a 4x400 win.
- Watkins and James also took control of the 400 meter dash by grabbing the top two places in the event. Watkins' 55.53 time was a personal best for the junior and enough for the first overall spot.
- In the field, senior Amiaya Carey edged out a first place finish in high jump for a second consecutive week. Carey cleared the bar at 1.61m. Aliyah Newman continued to impress in the women's triple jump as the freshman took first place overall. Newman leapt 12.26m, which is the best of her career. Just 0.4m behind Newman was Taylor McCormick in second place.
- Also winning her event was Makayla McGowan. McGowan hit a mark of 14.75m in shot put for a second time this season. McGowan would also grab a new best in discus and a second overall finish. Junior Camora Sanders placed third.
- It was sophomore Delaney Savedge coming in at third overall in the women's 3,000 meter steeplechase. With an 11:34.98 time, Savedge was able to add to the Rams' point total.
- Kara Lyles and Ann Sheehy both earned top-five finishes in the 400 meter hurdles. Lyles, who set a new best time of 1:01.58, took bronze in the race. Sheehy's 1:02.45 put the junior in fifth.
- Also setting a new best was Courtney Holleran in the 5,000 meter. Holleran finished the race in 18:13.91, which put the senior in fifth place. Fellow senior Olivia Coopwood also took fifth place in the 100 meter hurdles.
- Samantha Yankson improved her hammer throw mark with a 48.26m throw, which put the sophomore in fifth.
VCU travels west to Charlottesville, Va. for the Virginia Challenge on Friday, April 20.