Meet: Atlantic 10 Indoor Track and Field Championships (Day 1 of 2)
Location: Kingston, R.I.
Results: Day 1
The Short Story: De'Nisha Smith earned a first overall finish in the long jump, adding to VCU's first day point total. Several other Rams advance to Sunday's finals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Smith scored 10 points for VCU in the long jump with a first place leap. It was Smith's last attempt of the day where she recorded a 5.77m mark, a new personal best. Smith will also be advancing to the 60-meter hurdle finals after posting a second place time in the prelims. Smith posted an 8.75 time in just her second race of the season.
- Senior Ashleigh Banks' second place finish in the women's weight throw is two spots better than she placed in the championships a year ago. Banks earned a new personal best in the event with a 17.64m throw. Junior Camora Sanders also scored for the Rams after claiming the eighth spot with a personal best 16.19m.
- Latrice Morris advances after she topped all other athletes in the 60-meter dash. Morris' 7.64 was a personal best. Also advancing in the 60-meter is sophomore Alexis Willis who placed fourth.
- Morris and sophomore Kayla Smith will advance in the 200m after placing sixth and eighth, respectively.
- Three Rams will advance in the 400-meter as Kayla Smith, Candice James, and Taylor Watkins each placed in the top eight. James' 56.78 time was her personal best.
- Ashley Greenlee earned a trip to the 500-meter finals for her performance on Friday. The junior's 1:17.33 was good enough for seventh. Sophomore Ashley Brown also qualified for the 1,000m finals.
Atlantic 10 Championship action continues tomorrow, Feb. 18.