Scores: VCU 4, Old Dominion 2
Location: Norfolk, Va. (Folkes-Stevens Tennis Complex)
Records: VCU 12-6, ODU 10-7
The short story: The Rams defeated former conference competitor, Old Dominion, 4-2 on Saturday afternoon at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Complex in Norfolk, Va. VCU bounced back from a one point deficit to secure the win on the singles court. Of the six singles matches, four Rams recorded points including Janina Braun, Magda Aubets, Darya Berezhnaya, and Gabriela Araujo. Both Aubets and Berezhnaya won in singles and doubles play.
- Senior Darya Berezhnaya tied the match at one a piece by defeating Natalya Malenko in consecutive sets. Berezhnaya is now 19-5 overall this season.
- Trailing by one, Braun downed Holly Hutchinson, ranked 89th by the ITA, on the first court to tie the match at two. Braun now leads the team with 20 wins, and is 20-7 overall.
- Aubets gave the Rams their first lead of the match by defeating Eliska Petrackova in consecutive sets to improve to 14-12 this year.
- Freshman Gabriela Araujo secured the fourth and final point. She triumphed in a three set match on the fifth court.
1. Holly Hutchinson/Ingrid Vojcinakova (ODU) def. Rasmussen/Braun, 7-6
2. Berezhana/Aubets (VCU) def. Nataliia Vlasova/Marijana Novakovic, 7-5
3. Adriana Rajkovic/Natalya Malenko (ODU) def. Araujo/Witmus, 7-5
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Braun (VCU) def. #89 Holly Hutchinson, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
2. Ingrid Vojcinakova (ODU) vs. Rasmussen (VCU) 6-3, 2-6, 3-1, unfinished
3. Aubets (ODU) def. Eliska Petrackova, 7-6(5), 6-1
4. Berezhnaya (VCU) def. Natalya Malenko, 6-2, 6-1
5. Aruajo (VCU) def. Nataliia Vlasova, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Marijana Novakovic (ODU) def. Witmus 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 6, 1, 3, 5
The Rams return to the Thalhimer Tennis Center on Sunday, April 2 when they host the Rice Owls at 11 a.m.