Final Score: VCU: 0, Richmond: 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU 7-6-2 (1-5-1 A-10), Richmond 6-7-2 (3-4-0, A-10)
THE SHORT STORY
VCU fought hard for 90 minutes, but ultimately fell 1-0 at Richmond Thursday afternoon in Atlantic 10 play.
- University of Richmond scored in the 47th minute to take a 1-0 lead.
- VCU was awarded a penalty in the 72nd minute after a handball in the box, but the Richmond keeper made the save.
- VCU outshot Richmond 14-7 on the afternoon.
- Sophomore Brecht Haakma (Amsterdam, Netherlands) made two saves during the match.
- Senior Alyssa Tallent (Woodbridge, Va.) led the Rams with four shots and one on target.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tallent fired VCU's first shot of the match in the 15th minute but it rolled just wide.
- A brilliant stop between the pipes by sophomore Haakma in the 22nd minute kept the game scoreless.
- In the 41st minute, senior Rachel Hardy (Crowthorne, Berkshire, England) took a free kick from about 30-yards out and nearly got the go-ahead goal as her shot banged off the bottom of the cross bar.
- Just after the halftime break, the Spiders took a 1-0 lead after it scored on a breakaway in the 47thminute.
- Senior Amanda Tredway (Downingtown, Pa.) fired a rocket from deep in the 69th minute, but it fell to the hands of the Spiders' keeper.
- VCU had a good chance to equalize when it was awarded a penalty kick in the 72nd minute after a handball in the box. The Richmond keeper guessed the right way and made the stop to keep the Rams off the board.
The Rams will return home Sunday, Oct. 20 as it welcomes Dayton for an important Atlantic 10 matchup at Sports Backers Stadium. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.