Final Score: VCU: 5, SFU: 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU (6-1-1), SFU: (1-5-1)
THE SHORT STORY
VCU asserted its offensive prowess Sunday afternoon, defeating St. Francis 5-1 behind a second-half brace from senior Amanda Tredway (Downingtown, Pa.).
- VCU outshot The Red Flash 39-4 on the day, landing 20 of those shots on frame.
- Juniors Samantha Jerabek (Chesterfield, Va.) and CiCi Fox (Fredericksburg, Va.) led the way with seven shots each.
- St. Francis got on the board first with a 13thminute goal.
- Junior Emma Kershner (Centreville, Va.) leveled in the 19thminute on a free kick.
- VCU went ahead in the 21stminute with a goal from Fox.
- Jerabek scored in her second-consecutive match to give the Rams a 3-1 lead in the 42ndminute.
- The Rams continues its offensive assault, when Tredway scored in the 48thminute.
- Tredway scored her second of the day in the 52ndminute to give VCU a 5-1 lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU was on the front food early, but The Red Flash took an early lead cleaning up a rebound in the 13thminute to go ahead 1-0.
- The Rams leveled shortly after going down. In the 19thminute, VCU earned a free kick 20-yards out and Kershner bent the free kick into the top left corner of the goal.
- VCU never looked back, taking control of the match. Fox scored the go-ahead goal for a 2-1 lead when she slipped behind the defense on a through ball and buried the shot.
- The final goal of the first half came by way of Jerabek when she dribbled through several SFU defenders and sent a rocket to the back of the net from the top of the box.
- Picking up where they it off before the break, the Rams increased its lead 4-1 in the 48thminute when Tredway received the ball at the top right corner of the penalty area and sent a laser past the SFU keeper.
- Tredway's boots stayed hot, notching an unlikely brace in the 52ndminute by bending the ball into the top left corner of frame from the end line at a nearly impossible angle.
The Rams begin conference play next week as they travel to take on Duquesne Sunday, September 22 at 1 p.m.