Final Score: VCU 4, Loyola 0
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU (3-0-0), Loyola (1-1-0)
THE SHORT STORY
A second half barrage lead VCU to a 4-0 victory over Loyola in its 2019 home opener, improving to 3-0-0.
- VCU asserted its dominance early with a 4th minute shot by junior Samantha Jerabek (Chesterfield, Va.) that went just high.
- The Rams outshot Loyola 24-1 on the night.
- Jerabek led the squad with six shots during the match.
- Redshirt sophomore Grace Young (Chesterfield, Va.) stopped the only shot she faced between the pipes.
- 25 Rams saw playing time in the 2019 home opener at Sports Backers Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU scored its first goal in the 62nd minute when Lana Golob (Recica ob Paki, Slovenia) leapt over the defense and headed a corner kick home.
- In the 75th minute, Lyndsey Gutzmer (Herico, Va.) got on the score sheet after dribbling past Loyola's back line and slotting the shot past the keeper.
- Gutzmer scored yet again in the 78th minute by picking up a loose ball in the box and rocketing the shot to the back of the net.
- The final goal of the night came by way of a set piece in the 79th minute. Golob secured the second brace of the night when she got on the end of a free kick and slammed the ball to the roof of the net.
HEAD COACH LINDSEY MARTIN
The Rams will return to Sports Backers Stadium Sunday, Aug. 31 against UNC Wilmington. Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m.