Final Score: VCU 3, George Washington 2
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU (15-3), George Washington (10-8-1)
The Short Story: Kelly Graves scored twice to power VCU to a 3-2 victory of George Washington in the opening round of the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament.
- Graves scored her sixth and seventh goals of the season in the 4th and 53rd minutes respectively.
- VCU scored on an own goal in the 83rd minute.
- Redshirt freshman keeper Grace Young recorded her first win in goal this season, making three saves.
- VCU held a 7-5 advantage in shots on goal.
- Today's win marked the fifth consecutive victory for the Rams, who have also won 11 of their last 12 matches, and pushed them to 10-1 against conference opponents this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams started the match aggressively as Graves recorded the first goal of the game after intercepting a George Washington pass, beating a Colonials defender and firing a shot to the bottom left corner of the net. The goal put VCU on top 1-0 early in the first half.
- George Washington tied the game at 1-1 in the 28th minute when Sofia Pavon beat VCU's Young and shot into an open net.
- Graves stayed on the attack early in the second half and recorded her second goal of the game on a chip shot from 20-yards out in the 53rd minute. The attempt came after Graves fought her way through two Colonials' defenders before receiving a pass from Fox, who was credited with an assist on the play.
- The Rams scored on an own goal in the 83rd minute after Samantha Jerabek's cross to Emma Kershner bounced off a Colonials defender and into the net. The goal would ultimately be the game-winner.
- George Washington's Pavon scored her second goal of the game in the 90th minute to cut the VCU lead to 3-2.
HEAD COACH LINDSEY MARTIN
"Tonight was an inspiring performance by Kelly Graves especially. She's been such a tremendous leader on and off the field and for her to have a night like tonight was so good to see. Our pressure created three goals for us and the third was ultimately the game winner. Credit George Washington for a solid season and a competitive game tonight."
VCU will travel to Dayton, Ohio for a matchup with Saint Joseph's this Friday, Nov. 2, for the semifinals round of the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament.