Final Score: VCU 2, Duquesne 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU (9-2), Duquesne (5-5-1)
- Fox scored her first goal of the season in the second overtime period (107th minute).
- Graves scored her fourth goal of the season in the 84th minute.
- Senior keeper Audrey Sanderson recorded her ninth win in goal this season, making four saves.
- VCU held a 25-11 advantage in shots and an 11-5 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Rams have won all three of their overtime matches this season.
- Today's win marked the sixth consecutive victory for the Rams and pushed them to 4-0 in conference play this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams started the game aggressively, recording the first shot on goal of the game in just the 1st minute of play. They followed that up with two more shot attempts in the 8th and 9th minutes that forced saves from Duquesne keeper Kyra Murphy.
- Duquesne recorded the first goal of the game in the 23rd minute when Abby Losco's intercepted a VCU pass and scored a goal on a shot to the bottom left corner of the net.
- In the 41st minute, Lana Golob had a chance to tie the game but her shot was saved by Murphy. A few moments later, Emma Kershner's shot just before the half went just outside the left post for a Duquesne goal kick.
- VCU entered halftime with an 8-3 advantage in shots, but trailed 1-0.
- The Rams started the second half on the attack, as Graves shot a rocket from right outside of the 18-yard box in the 49th minute. Her attempt was just saved by Murphy.
- VCU tied the game at 1-1 in the 84th minute on a back-heel by Kelly Graves. Graves was in perfect positon to finish a pass from CiCi Fox, who had been played in by junior defender Sarah Gibson on a cross. Graves shot rolled in the bottom right corner of the net. Gibson and Fox both were credited with assists on the play.
- The Rams had a shot to win the game in regulation when an Emma Kershner corner kick was almost headed in by Ingrid Brouwer. The attempt was slightly too high, landing on top of the net.
- The match remained tied 1-1 heading into a sudden victory overtime period.
- The first big play of overtime came from VCU keeper Audrey Sanderson. Sanderson made a diving save on a shot from Duquesne's Tori Kopchak in the 97th minute. The save kept VCU alive and the score tied at 1-1.
- The Rams final shot of the day when Fox headed a cross in from just outside the 6-yard box to the bottom left corner of the net to win the game. They play developed when Idelys Vazquez put a move on a Duquesne defender and dished it off to Karen Lohrmann. Lohrmann then cross the ball perfectly to Fox who effectively ended the game at 2-1, VCU.
HEAD COACH LINDSEY MARTIN
"Today was not our finest performance, but our response showed grit and determination. We looked a little bit flat and tired, just off our usual game, so, we will have to get that resolved before our Thursday match this week. Our staff is proud of the determination we showed and ability to once again win in OT. Great finish by CiCi to give us the golden goal. "
VCU continues conference play this Thursday, Oct. 4, when Dayton comes to town for a 7 p.m. matchup at Sports Backers Stadium.