Final Score: VCU 1, Saint Joseph's 0
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 11-5-3 (5-3-2 A-10), Saint Joseph's 11-6-3 (5-3-2 A-10)
The Short Story: A second half penalty kick scored by Megan Dell would be the difference, as the VCU Women's Soccer team advances to the Atlantic 10 Conference Championship game on Sunday after a 1-0 victory over the Saint Joseph's Hawks. The semifinal win puts the Rams into the Atlantic 10 title game for the second time since joining the conference.
- The Rams outshot the Hawks 15-7 overall in the game, putting eight on net to Saint Joseph's five.
- The Hawks racked up eight corner kicks on the game to VCU's three.
- Goalkeeper Audrey Sanderson made five saves on the game in her 11th win of the season.
- Dell's goal would be here fifth of the season, a new career high.
- VCU will return to the championship game for the first time since 2012, where they dropped to La Salle 2-1 in overtime.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game started fast, as VCU came out of the gate flying immediately in the opening minutes with pressure. They would get some good looks, but wouldn't get an official shot.
- The first shot came off the foot of Tori Browne in the 6th minute, who's shot would be on goal and require a save. It would be her only shot on the day.
- From the 25th minute through the 31st minute, Saint Joseph's was in control of play as they got off three shots, including one that required a defensive save by Sarah Gibson.
- The Rams would get a great try off a Dell header in the 33rd minute, as the corner from Julia Suarez came at just the right height, but went wide of the near post.
- As the game entered halftime, the score would stand 0-0.
- Lyndsey Gutzmer would ring the crossbar in the 63rd minute, as it looked like her shot would put the Rams ahead.
- In the 71st minute, the Hawks would get called for a handball in the box, setting up the penalty kick for Dell. She would connect, giving VCU the 1-0 lead.
- The Hawks would struggle to find good looks down the stretch, as the VCU defense held down the fort and took the 1-0 win after 90 minutes.
VCU returns to the pitch this Sunday, November 5 as they will take on the La Salle Explorers in the Atlantic 10 Championship game at Sports Backers Stadium. Kickoff is set for 12 p.m. for the title game. The Rams dropped to La Salle on October 22 on the road in Philadelphia 1-0.