Final Score: Duquesne 1, VCU 0
Location: Rooney Field (Pittsburgh, Pa.)
Records: VCU 5-3-2 (1-1-1 A-10), Duquesne 6-2-3 (2-1-0 A-10)
The Short Story: After 90 minutes of scoreless soccer, it would take moments into the first overtime for the VCU Rams to end up on the wrong side of a 1-0 loss at Duquesne Thursday night.
- Rachel Hardy paced the offense with three shots on the night, with two on net.
- Both Maddi Santo and Kimberly Ito each had a pair of shots with one shot on net each.
- Julia Suarez would have the other shot on net for the Rams, while Tori Browne and Amanda Tredway each had a shot as well.
- VCU outshot Duquesne 10-7, and also led in corner chances 5-2.
- Goalie Audrey Sanderson made four saves on the match.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Through the first 45 minutes of play, each side took only two shots apiece, as the score would stand 0-0 going into halftime.
- The Rams came out shooting in the second half, as they collected four shots in the matter of 24 seconds. That sequence would be highlighted by a shot from Maddi Santo that would ring off the post.
- Down the stretch, the Rams and Dukes would trade shots for the most part, each collecting four shots apiece over the final 35 minutes.
- Duquesne had a solid chance with under a minute to go, as a shot from Linnea Faccenda would go wide.
- After 90 minutes of play, the score would stand 0-0 and go to overtime.
- Just 2:45 into the first overtime, Faccenda would convert a game-winner for Duquesne, putting one past Sanderson to end the game.
VCU returns to the pitch this Sunday, October 1 as the Rams return home to take on UMass at 1 p.m. at Sports Backers Stadium.