Final Score: William & Mary 17, VCU 13
Location: Richmond, Va. (Cary Street Field)
Records: VCU (3-4), William & Mary (5-3)
The Short Story: VCU trailed 9-2 with 1:54 remaining in the first half before rallying to get within 14-11 midway through the second half. The Tribe answered with three unanswered goals to hold off the Rams' rally.
- Sky Hyatt scored a game-high six goals and added three assists. She also had five draw controls and a ground ball.
- Keriann McTavish scored three goals on five shot attempts.
- Jessica Del Rossi also scored three goals and had six shots on goal.
- Ria Peralta made eight saves while Gillian Belfiore made two saves.
- VCU outshot the Tribe 36-29 overall while William & Mary had a slight 27-26 edge in shots on goal.
- The Tribe were led by Meredith Hughes who scored five goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- William & Mary opened the scoring but VCU tied the game at 1-1 on a goal from Savannah Slack with 23:52 left before halftime.
- The Tribe scored eight of the next nine goals to push their lead to 9-2 with 3:12 left. Del Rossi scored to cut the deficit to 9-3 at the half.
- The Rams scored the first goal of the second half and Tribe traded the next five goals to make it 12-6 with 24:12 left.
- VCU outscored William and Mary 5-2 to get within 14-11 with 14:01 left in the contest. The Tribe responded with three consecutive goals to end the comeback attempt.
VCU opens Atlantic 10 play by hosting Duquesne at Cary Street Field on March 22 with a 4 p.m. draw.
Photo Credit: Jim Agnew (William & Mary Athletics)