Score: VCU 75, Rhode Island 54
Location: Kingston, R.I. (Ryan Center)
Records: VCU 6-8 (1-0 A-10), Rhode Island (7-6, 0-1 A-10)
The short story: VCU ended the first half on a 22-5 run to pull away from Rhode Island and cruise to the win its Atlantic 10 opener.
- Four Rams scored in double figures, led by Taya Robinson who shot a perfect 8-of-8 from the floor and was 4-of-4 from 3-point range. She scored a season-high 20 points, just one-point shy of her career high
- Tera Reed scored 14 points and added five rebound and three assists.
- Danielle Hammond scored 12 points along with three blocks and four rebounds while going 5-of-7 from the floor.
- Kseniya Malashka scored a season-high 10 points along with 2-of-3 from behind the arc.
- VCU's 48 first half points were the most points in a half this season.
- VCU shot 52.8 percent from the field and 46.7 percent from 3-point range. Rhode Island shot 35.2 percent from the field and 35.0 percent from 3-point range.
- Rhode Island was led by Kassondra Brown and Davida Dale who each had 13 points.
- VCU improved to 8-0 all-time against URI.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trailing 4-2 early, Robinson went on a personal 8-0 run that included back-to-back 3-pointers to give VCU a 10-4 lead with 7:04 left in the first quarter.
- Rhode Island answered and tied the game 10-10 before VCU outscored URI 14-7 the rest of the quarter to lead 24-17 heading into the second.
- VCU blew the game open in the second quarter, outscoring URI 24-8 overall during the quarter and ending the half on a 22-5 run.
- VCU led by at least 15 points for the entire second half and held off Rhode Island.
VCU hosts Saint Joseph's at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 8 at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.