Final Score: Cincinnati 58, VCU 56
Location: Richmond, Va. (Siegel Center)
Records: VCU (3-5), Cincinnati (4-4)
The Short Story: In a tightly contested game that had 13 ties and 12 lead changes, VCU and Cincinnati battled until the Bearcats' Angel Rizor hit a game-winning shot at the buzzer.
- Danielle Hammond scored a team-high 20 points and added two blocks for the Rams. It was her second 20-plus point effort in three games.
- Madison Hattix-Covington tallied 16 points off of 5-for-8 shooting. She also went 2-for-3 from 3-point range.
- The Rams' bench outscored Cincinnati's reserves 39-13.
- VCU shot 40.0 percent off 20-for-50 shooting while Cincinnati shot 44.7 percent, going 21-for-47 from the field.
- The Rams outrebounded the Bearcats 27-15.
- Illmar'l Thomas led Cincinnati with 16 points and added six rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Cincinnati took an early 4-0 lead. VCU quickly responded with a 7-1 run to take a 7-5 lead. The Rams led 14-12 after the first quarter.
- The second quarter was back-and-forth with four ties and three lead changes as the teams were deadlocked at 24-24 going into halftime.
- Cincinnati led 35-34 with 4:43 left in the third quarter but a Hammond layup sparked a 7-1 run to give the Rams a 41-35 lead with 3:21 left in the third. The Rams held a slight 46-42 advantage going into the fourth quarter.
- The close game continued until the final seconds and with VCU leading 56-54, Cincinnati's Chellia Watson and Angel Rizor each scored a basket in the final 3.3 seconds of the game. Rizor's shot went through the net at the buzzer for the game-winner.
VCU hosts William & Mary at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 8 at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.