Final Score: VCU 65, Charlotte 52
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU (24-9), Charlotte (18-13)
The Short Story: Tera Reed poured in a team-high 18 points and VCU never trailed to earn its first postseason and WNIT win since 2012.
- Reed scored 18 points along with six rebounds and five assists.
- Danielle Hammond scored 14 points on 5-of-8 shooting and added two rebounds.
- Sydnei Archie scored seven points and tied for the team lead with seven rebounds.
- VCU shot 46 percent from the floor while limiting the 49ers to just 33.3 percent.
- The Rams also shot 41.7 percent from 3-point range (5-of-12) while Charlotte shot 21.4 percent (3-of-14).
- The 49ers were led by Jade Phillips and Mariah Linney who each scored 13 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU opened the game on an 8-2 run that was capped by a Taya Robinson jumper.
- The 49ers outscored VCU 7-4 to cut the Rams' lead to just 12-9 but the Rams got the last three points of the quarter to lead 15-11.
- The Rams shot 46.7 percent in the second quarter while limiting Charlotte to just 26.7 percent to build a 31-22 lead at the half. The nine points was tied for the largest lead of the game at that point.
- After VCU scored the first bucket of the half to go up 34-22, Charlotte went on a 7-0 run to cut its deficit to just 34-29 with 7:07 left to play in the third quarter.
- VCU got its lead back to 10 points twice during the final 5:33 of the quarter but Charlotte was able to trim its deficit to just 48-43 heading into the fourth.
- Charlotte stayed close but with the Rams leading 57-52, Robinson scored to start an 8-0 VCU run to end the game.
VCU will face Virginia Tech in Blacksburg at 2 p.m. on Sunday, March 24.