Final Score: No. 2 Fordham 62, No. 1 VCU 47
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa. (A.J. Palumbo Center)
Records: VCU (23-9), Fordham (25-8)
The Short Story: Playing in its first Atlantic 10 Championship game since joining the league, VCU trailed just 38-31 heading into the fourth quarter. Fordham opened the fourth quarter with a 7-2 run to push its lead to 45-33 and VCU was unable to overcome the deficit.
- Danielle Hammond scored 13 points and added five rebounds. She was named to the All-Atlantic 10 Championship team.
- Taya Robinson scored nine points while adding eight rebounds and five assists.
- Fordham outscored VCU 16-5 in points off turnovers. VCU had 18 turnovers while Fordham committed just eight.
- VCU shot 38.8 percent from the floor while Fordham shot 37.2 percent. Fordham went 6-of-16 from 3-point range while VCU was just 3-of-13.
- Fordham was led by Bre Cavanaugh who scored 22 points and had seven rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU opened the game on a 4-0 in the first 56 seconds of play.
- Fordham then went on an 11-2 run to take a 11-6 lead with 3:23 left in the quarter. Fordham led 13-11 heading into the second.
- After back-and-forth battling between the teams, Fordham led 25-23 before a 5-0 run left VCU trailing 30-23 at halftime.
- VCU continued to hang around and trailed just 38-31 going into the final 10 minutes. Fordham outscored VCU 24-16 in the final quarter to pull away.
VCU will participate in the WNIT after earning the Atlantic 10's automatic bid during the regular season. VCU will find out its opponent and location late on Monday, March 18.