Final Score: VCU 59, St. Bonaventure 50
Location: Olean, N.Y. (Reilly Center)
Records: VCU (17-6, 9-1 A-10), St. Bonaventure (7-15, 4-5 A-10)
The Short Story: After trailing 18-6 at the end of the first quarter, VCU used two major runs to complete the comeback. The Rams first used 19-6 run to get back into the game before halftime at 27-27 and then opened the fourth quarter with a 15-0 run to take a 54-44 lead and never looked back.
- VCU is off to its best start in conference play in school history at 9-1.
- The Rams remain undefeated all-time against St. Bonaventure with an 8-0 record including a 4-0 mark in Olean.
- Danielle Hammond scored 12 points along with eight rebounds.
- Taya Robinson scored a team-high 13 points and added two rebounds.
- VCU forced 21 Bonnies turnovers and outscored St. Bonaventure 23-12 in points off turnovers.
- St. Bonaventure shot 48.8 percent from the field, the highest percentage the Rams have given up on the season. The Bonnies were led by Asianae Johnson who had a game-high 15 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bonnies jumped out to an 18-6 lead after the first quarter.
- VCU responded with a 19-6 run to take a 27-24 lead with 2:11 left before halftime. The Bonnies scored the final three points of the quarter and the teams were tied 27-27 at the break.
- The teams traded the lead three times and were tied three times during the third quarter but St. Bonaventure closed the quarter on a 6-1 run to lead 44-39.
- VCU held St. Bonaventure scoreless for the first 5:16 of the fourth quarter while the Rams went on a 15-0 run to take the lead for good at 54-44.
- The Bonnies got no closer than seven points during the final 4:44 of the game.
VCU hosts Richmond on Feb.9 at 6 p.m. in the Sonabank P.O.W.E.R. Crosstown Showdown.