Final Score: VCU 65, Saint Joseph's 47
Location: Philadelphia, Pa. (Hagan Arena)
Records: VCU (16-6, 8-1 A-10), Saint Joseph's (6-15, 2-6 A-10)
The Short Story: The Rams held a 35-29 lead with 6:12 remaining in the third quarter before going on a 16-6 run to push their lead to 51-35 with 8:47 left in the contest. The Hawks got no closer than 12 points the rest of the way and VCU led by as many as 19 points. With the win, VCU swept Saint Joseph's on the season in their two matchups.
- VCU matched its best overall start to conference play since 2009-10 as the Rams moved to 8-1 in Atlantic 10 play.
- It marked the 13th game this season that the Rams have held an opponent to under 50 points. VCU has accomplished that feat in eight of its nine A-10 games.
- Tera Reed scored a game-high 18 points on 5-of-11 shooting. She also went 7-of-8 from the free throw line and added four rebounds.
- Madison Hattix-Covington tied a career-high with 10 points, going 3-of-5 from the floor and 2-of-2 from 3-point range. She also added eight rebounds.
- Taya Robinson chipped in nine points and seven rebounds.
- The Rams outscored Saint Joseph's 20-3 in second chance points and had a 39-23 advantage in rebounds including a 15-7 edge on the offensive glass.
- VCU held Saint Joseph's to 35.4 percent shooting and 31.3 percent from 3-point range.
- It was VCU's first win at Saint Joseph's since joining the A-10 and first since a WNIT First Round victory of the Hawks on March 18, 2010.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU led 6-5 with 4:32 remaining in the first quarter when a Kseniya Malashka jumper started a 7-2 run and gave the Rams a 13-7 lead after the first period.
- The Hawks trimmed VCU's lead to 19-18 with 4:14 remaining before halftime but the Rams outscored Saint Joseph's 9-5 to take a 28-23 lead into halftime.
- Early in the third quarter, VCU's lead was 35-23 with 8:36 on the clock but a quick 6-0 run brought the Hawks within 35-29.
- VCU would finally pull away after a trio of Reed free throws began a 16-6 run and the Rams led by double digits for the remainder of the contest.
VCU travels to Olean, N.Y. for a 7 p.m. tipoff on Feb. 6 against St. Bonaventure.