Final Score: George Washington 57, VCU 48
Location: Washington, D.C. (Charles E. Smith Center)
Records: VCU (13-6, 5-1 A-10), George Washington (7-12, 4-2 A-10)
The Short Story: After trailing by as many as 14 points, VCU cut its deficit to just 46-44 on a Danielle Hammond layup with 2:26 remaining. The Colonials' Mei-lyn Bautista hit a 3-pointer with 1:02 remaining and GW sealed the game at the free throw line.
- The loss ended VCU's seven-game win streak and 5-0 start to Atlantic 10 play.
- Hammond tied a career-high with 18 points on 8-of-9 shooting from the floor. She also added five rebounds.
- Taya Robinson scored nine points along with six rebounds and four steals.
- George Washington shot 10-of-24 from 3 -point range (41.7 percent) while VCU shot just 1-of-14 (7.1 percent).
- Both teams went 15-of-26 at the free throw line (57.7 percent).
- Bautista scored a game-high 21 points, going 6-of-11 from 3-point range for GW.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU trailed 3-0 before going on an 8-0 run to lead 8-3 with 4:21 left in the first quarter. The Rams took a 12-9 lead into the second period.
- After the Colonials scored the first basket of the quarter, VCU extended its lead to 17-11 with 8:07 left before halftime.
- George Washington closed out the first half on a 15-5 run to lead 26-22 at the half.
- The Colonials led by as much as 37-23 with 4:06 left in the third quarter before the Rams began their comeback.
- VCU ended the third quarter on a 7-2 run and trailed 39-31 going into the fourth quarter.
- The run continued until Hammond's layup trimmed the GW lead to just 46-44.
- The Rams were unable to get closer and George Washington closed the game scoring seven of the game's final nine points at the free throw line.
VCU hosts Saint Louis at 1 p.m. on Sunday Jan, 27 at the E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.