SONABANK P.O.W.E.R. CROSSTOWN SHOWDOWN
Final Score: VCU 68, Richmond 43
Location: Richmond, Va. (Robins Center)
Records: VCU (11-5, 3-0 A-10), Richmond (3-13, 0-3 A-10)
The Short Story: Leading 26-22 at halftime, the Rams opened the second half on a 6-0 run and outscored Richmond 42-21 in the final 20 minutes to pull away for the dominant win.
- Tera Reed scored a team-high 19 points with six rebounds.
- Danielle Hammond scored a season-high 13 points along with five rebounds. She went 9-of-10 from the free throw line.
- Kseniya Malashka scored eight points and added five rebounds.
- VCU shot 45.8 percent from the floor and limited Richmond to just 33.3 percent shooting.
- The Rams outrebounded the Spiders 39-25 and outscored them 16-5 in second chance points.
- Aniyah Carpenter led Richmond with 14 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU opened the game on an 11-0 run and led 18-9 at the end of the first quarter. Reed scored nine points in the opening quarter.
- The Spiders outscored the Rams 13-8 in the second period and trimmed VCU's lead to just 26-22 at halftime.
- The Rams reasserted control with a 6-0 run to begin the second half and pushed their lead to 46-33 heading into the fourth quarter.
- VCU continued to extend its lead to using a 17-3 run that stretched into the fourth quarter and led 61-36 with 4:38 remaining.
- The teams split the scoring for the final 4:38 of the contest.
VCU travels to Fordham for a 7 p.m. game on Jan. 16.