Final Score: VCU 59, Saint Joseph's 40
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena Stuart C. Siegel)
Records: VCU (9-5, 1-0 A-10) Saint Joseph's (4-10, 0-1 A-10)
The Short Story: Leading 17-15 with 8:38 remaining in the second quarter, VCU used suffocating defense to go on a 22-5 run to take control of the game and win its Atlantic 10 opener. The Rams extended their winning streak to three games.
- Danielle Hammond was one a three Rams to score a team-high 11 points and also added seven rebounds.
- Tera Reed scored 11 points along with five rebounds and two assists.
- Taya Robinson was the third VCU player to score 11 points and she also added three assists with no turnovers.
- The Rams limited the Hawks to just 31 percent shooting from the field and 23.1 percent from 3-point range. VCU shot 39.6 percent from the floor.
- VCU forced 16 Saint Joseph's turnovers and outscored the Hawks 23-7 in points off turnovers.
- The Rams also outrebounded Saint Joseph's 33-26.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams opened the game on a 9-4 run before the Hawks responded and tied the game 9-9 with 3:24 remaining in the first quarter.
- VCU outscored Saint Joseph's 6-2 to end the first quarter with a 15-11 lead.
- In the second quarter with the Rams leading 17-15, VCU held the Hawks without a field goal for the final 8:38 and limited them to just three free throws to take a 27-18 lead at halftime.
- The Rams extended the run into the third quarter and led 39-20 with 4:35 remaining in the period.
- VCU led by as many as 25 points and Saint Joseph's got no closer than 18 points in the fourth quarter.
VCU hosts La Salle on Jan. 8 at 6 p.m. at the E.J. Wade Arena.