Final Score: VCU 58, UNCW 47
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center)
Records: VCU 5-2, UNCW 4-2
The Short Story: With the game tied 26-26 midway through the third quarter, the Rams went on a 16-3 run to take a 42-29 lead with 9:38 remaining in the fourth quarter and never looked back. VCU's defense limited UNCW to shoot just 25.4 percent from the floor during the contest.
- Taya Robinson was one of three Rams in double figures as she scored 10 points on 5-of-10 shooting. She also added seven rebounds and two assists.
- Jailyn Maddox scored a season-high 10 points to go along with four rebounds.
- Kseniya Malashka also scored 10 points and grabbed nine rebounds.
- VCU outrebounded UNCW by a 51-34 margin.
- The Rams' bench outscored the Seahawks 32-6 and VCU also had a 38-22 advantage in points in the paint.
- UNCW was led by Shrita Parker who scored 15 points but was just 4-of-20 from the field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams struggled offensively early until Tera Reed scored the first basket of the game with 5:41 left in the first quarter to put VCU up 2-0.
- There were three ties and three lead changes in the first quarter and the Seahawks led 11-9 after the first 10 minutes.
- The two teams continued to battle but VCU outscored the Seahawks 5-2 over the final 2:16 of the half to lead 24-20 at the break.
- UNCW tied the game 26-26 with 6:00 left in the third quarter before an 14-3 run gave the Rams a 40-29 lead going into the fourth quarter.
- The Seahawks would get only as close as eight points for the remained of the contest.
VCU travels to Georgetown for a 2 p.m. tipoff on Dec. 2.