Final Score: VCU: 0, Dayton: 1
Location: Bronx, N.Y. (Jack Coffey Field)
Records: VCU: 7-8-3 (6-1-1, A-10), Dayton: 13-7-0 (6-2-0, A-10)
THE SHORT STORY
A converted penalty by Dayton in the first half proved to be the difference as the Flyers topped VCU 1-0 in the Atlantic-10 Semifinals.
- Dayton took a 1-0 lead in the 30th minute after converting a penalty.
- The Flyers outshot the Rams 13-11 on the night.
- Junior keeper Mario Sequeira (San Jose, Costa Rica) made two saves on the night.
- Juniors Biska Biyombo (Lumbumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo) and Jared Greene (Virginia Beach, Va.) both registered three shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU came out of the gate on the offensive. Senior Fortia Munts (Barcelona, Spain) fired the match's first shot in the 10th minute to force an early save by the Dayton keeper.
- Shortly after coming into the game, Greene got a good look. In the 29th minute, senior Austin Graham (Midlothian, Va.) played a great ball in from the left side to Greene at the back post. Greene got a boot on the ball, but the shot went wide.
- Dayton took the 1-0 lead when it converted from the spot after a VCU handball in the box.
- The Rams had another good opportunity in the 36th minute with back-to-back corners. Junior Oquin Robinson (Bull Bay, Jamaica) put in great service from the corner, but the Dayton keeper was there to punch the ball away.
- Biyombo showed off his physicality in the 37th minute to manufacture a chance. He muscled through a host of red shirts and got a shot of, but it hit the side netting.
- Freshman Celio Pompeu (Sao Paulo, Brazil) nearly found the equalizer in the 52nd minute. He took a free kick just outside the box and put it on frame, but the Flyers' keeper made a diving save to keep VCU off the board.
- One of VCU's best chances of the night came in the 57th minute when Munts found a streaking Biyombo who slipped in behind the Dayton defense. Biyombo beat the last defender and fired a shot, but the ball went just inches with of the far post.
- In the 70th minute, Dayton threatened to net another off a set piece, but Munts made a goal-line clearance to keep the Rams in the match.
- Greene had another good chance in the 73rd minute when the ball found him just in front of the goal, but his shot sailed just above the cross bar.
- The Rams continued to fight and nearly equalized in the 84th minute when senior Ryo Shimazaki (Kawasaki, Japan) got a head on the end of a free kick. His header knocked the inside of the far post and bounced back into the box.
VCU finished its season with a 7-8-3 mark and a 6-1-1 record in Atlantic 10 regular season play.