Final Score: VCU: 1, Rhode Island: 2
Location: Kingston, R.I. (URI Soccer Complex)
Records: VCU 5-6-1(4-1-0 A-10), Rhode Island 9-3-2 (5-1-0, A-10)
THE SHORT STORY
VCU suffered its first loss in Atlantic 10 play at the hands of a tough Rhode Island Side Saturday night 2-1 at the URI Soccer Complex.
- Rhode Island took a 1-0 lead in the 64th minute.
- Rhode Island extended its lead late in the match with a goal in the 85th minute for a 2-0 lead.
- VCU continued to press offensively and found the back of the net in the 87th minute by way of junior Oquin Robinson (Bull Bay, Jamaica).
- Junior Jared Greene (Virginia Beach, Va.) led the VCU squad with two shots.
- Between the posts, junior Mario Sequeira (San Jose, Costa Rica) made two saves.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sequeira was challenged early, making a save in the fifth minute to keep the game scoreless.
- Greene blasted VCU's first shot of the night in the 19th minute, forcing a save from Rhode Island's keeper.
- VCU continued to be aggressive offensively, firing two back-to-back shots just after the halftime break in the 50th minute.
- The first goal of the match was scored by Rhode Island in the 64th minute when it got a head on the end of a cross in from the right flank for a 1-0 lead.
- Rhode Island extended its lead in the 85th minute when it netted its second of the match for a 2-0 lead.
- Junior Biska Biyombo (Lumbumbashi, Democratic Republic of The Congo) responded immediately with a shot on VCU's very next attack, forcing another Rhode Island save in the 85th minute.
- Robinson gave VCU some life in the 87th minute when he tucked a free kick just inside the right post to cut the Rhode Island lead 2-1.
VCU will be back in action Wednesday, Oct. 23 as the side returns home for a matchup with Fordham. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m.