Final Score: VCU: 0, LIU: 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU (1-1-0), LIU (2-0-0)
THE SHORT STORY
LIU defeated VCU 1-0 with a second-half goal after the Rams went down a man in the 31stminute of the contest.
- VCU played with 10 men from the 31stminute after a forward was shown a red card after a collision with the LIU keeper on a breakaway.
- LIU scored in the 57thminute on a corner kick.
- The Rams outshot the Sharks 15-6 and landed three of those shots on frame.
- Junior Oquin Robinson (Bull Bay, Jamaica) led the VCU squad with five shots.
- Junior Mario Sequeira (San Jose, Costa Rica) made three important saves.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- LIU blasted the first shot of the night in the 11thminute, but Sequeira made an easy save to keep things level.
- Redshirt junior Biska Biyombo (Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo) was active in VCU's attacking third, creating a good chance in the 31stminute but the keeper came off his line and intercepted the ball.
- Freshman Maverick McGann (Washington, D.C.) slipped behind the LIU defense in the 39thminute, but his shot was deflected before finding the net.
- The Sharks scored in the 57thminute when a corner kick deflected off a VCU defender to the feet of an LIU player who slotted the ball in the bottom right corner of the goal.
- VCU continued to press to the very end of the match. Redshirt Fiorre Mane (Dakar, Senegal) dribbled through a host of defenders in the 88thminute and nearly leveled, but the LIU keeper made his third save of the night.
HEAD COACH DAVE GIFFARD
Head Coach Dave Giffard on tonight's match pic.twitter.com/atYuGFhcYy— VCU Men's Soccer (@VCUMensSoccer) September 3, 2019
VCU will be back in action Friday, September 6 as it hosts St. Francis at Sports Backers Stadium. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m.