Final Score: VCU 0, Dayton 1
Location: Dayton, Ohio (Baujan Field)
Records: VCU (9-5-1) A-10 (5-1-1), Dayton (7-5-1) A-10 (3-3-1)
The Short Story: Rams couldn't find their groove in a 1-0 loss to Dayton in the final road match of the regular season.
- Junior midfielder Fortia Munts led the Rams in shots with two.
- Junior midfielder Siad Haji, senior midfielder Joseph Gonnella, and freshman forward Martin Ngoh also recorded one shot apiece.
- Sophomore keeper Mario Sequeira logged three saves.
- Dayton held a 18-5 edge in shots with a 6-0 edge in shots on goal.
- VCU registered two team saves.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sequeira registered two saves within minutes of each other early in the first half to keep the Flyers from gaining a lead.
- Dayton's Jonas Fjeldberg scores the first goal of the match in the 31st minute as he received a cross from the left side of the box and headed it in.
- VCU posed a threat to Dayton's lead when Siad Haji and Munts took shots in the 51st and 53rd minutes, respectively, but could not find the back of the net.
- Martin Ngoh delivered a strike towards goal in the 87th minute but it was blocked by a Dayton defender.
HEAD COACH DAVID GIFFARD
"We looked inexperienced and young the first 45 minutes tonight for the first time in several weeks. I think we focused on the outcome tonight instead of how to play to get the outcome we want. Disappointing for sure, but we need to learn and move onto Wednesday night."
VCU returns home to face off against St. Bonaventure in its last match of the regular season on Wednesday, Oct. 31 at 7 p.m.