Final Score: VCU 1, UNC Wilmington 0 (2 OT)
Location: UNCW Soccer Stadium (Wilmington, N.C.)
Records: VCU 3-3-0, UNC Wilmington 7-2-0
The Short Story: For the second straight game, it would take extra time for the VCU Rams to grab a victory. However, the hero would be different as Rafael Andrade Santos notched the game-winning goal 17 minutes into double overtime giving the VCU Rams a 1-0 win over the UNC Wilmington Seahawks.
- Mario Sequeira shined in net, collecting his second career shutout in as many games. He would make seven saves on the night.
- Santos continues to lead the team in points, now leading the team with seven points.
- The Seahawks outshot the Rams 22-4 on the game, and lead the Rams in corner opportunities 6-3.
- The Rams played the final 55 minutes of play a man down after a double yellow card from Zeron Sewell that knocked him out just minutes into the second half.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Santos would take the only shot for the Rams in the first half, putting it on net in the 8th minute of play.
- UNCW would outshoot the Rams 10-1 in the first half. However, the Rams would keep the score 0-0 after the first 45 minutes going into the half.
- The Rams would stand strong on defense throughout the second half, as the Seahawks pressured the VCU back line and tested Sequeira on multiple occasions.
- Zeron Sewell would collect a second yellow card just minutes into the second half. With that, the Rams would play a player down over the final 55 minutes of play.
- Ryo Shimizaki and Eli Lockaby each collected shots in the second half, as after 90 minutes of play, the score stood 0-0.
- UNCW put two shots up against Sequeira in the first overtime period, but could not put it past the freshman. After 100 minutes, the match stil stood at 0-0.
- Early in the second overtime, Santos would make a run and rip a shot just 17 seconds into the second overtime. The shot would find the back of the net, sealing the win for the Rams.
VCU returns to the pitch this upcoming Wednesday night, October 4 as the Rams return home to take on the Davidson Wildcats. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.