Final Score: VCU 2, George Washington 2
Location: Mount Vernon Athletic Fields (Washington, D.C.)
Records: VCU 3-5-3 (1-0-1), George Washington 5-2-5 (0-0-2) 

The Short Story: The VCU Rams found themselves locked in a tight battle with the George Washington Colonials on Wednesday afternoon. After being down 1-0 after the first half, the Rams scored two goals to their credit before letting George Washington tie the game 2-2. After 110 minutes of the play, the Rams ended their fifth overall overtime game in a tie, 2-2.  



  • Dakota Barnathan scored his second goal of the year off an assist by Jorge Herranz.  Herranz pushed his team-high mark in points to 12. Fransesco Amorosino would add the later goal on an assist from Steven Dal Molin.
  • Between the two sides, 28 shots were taken, with the Colonials holding a 16-12 advantage. George Washington also held the advantage with shots on goal, 9-7.
  • Six total yellow cards were handed out on the match, with the Colonials taking four of those on record.


  • George Washington got off to a quick start with a goal by Colonial midfielder Garrett Heine in the 11th minute.  Heine scored off a free kick that bounced off the far post and slipped by VCU goalie Pierre Gardan to put George Washington up 1-0. 
  • Shots by midfielder Brandon Eaton in the sixth minute and and midfielder Luc Fatton in the 22nd minute provided VCU with early life in the first half, but were each saved by George Washington goalie Thor Hofs.
  • George Washington's Heine nearly scored again off a free kick in the 30th minute, sending it into the box but Gardan saved a header from defender Tobi Adewole.
  • VCU midfielder Steve Dal Molin attempted to bring the Rams back into the game with a header in the 41st minute, but was held off again by goalie Hofs.
  • VCU evened things up at one in the 58th minute off a free kick by forward Herranz into the box that was finished off by midfielder Dakota Barnathan. It would be Barnathan's second goal of the season, and tie the game at 1-1.
  • The Black and Gold took the lead in the 70th minute with a header from midfielder Francesco Amorisino off a corner kick from Dal Molin. The goal would be Amorisino's third goal of the season, and put VCU up 2-1.
  • Moments later, the Colonials erased VCU's lead with a goal in the 73rd minute from Dylan Lightbourn coming off a corner kick by George Dise.
  • Both teams played to a 2-2 tie after 90 minutes, and the squads did not give an inch in the first overtime, keeping things deadlocked at 2-2.
  • Action would become a huge part of the second overtime, highlighted by two key saves from Gardan with under two minutes to play, keeping the score tied at 2-2, where it would stay as the final score.



VCU returns home to Sports Backers Stadium next Wednesday, October 12 to take on the Explorers of La Salle.  Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday evening. 



"Today was not a very good performance overall from us, but there are a lot of things we can take from the game. First, all credit to GW. They are an experienced well prepared team who is very tough to play at home.

In most college games, but especially conference road games, teams are going to fight and claw for everything.  This is a very tough place to play, a turf field with a million lines on it in the middle of the day with no atmosphere and against a very good and well coached opponent.

Second, even though we didn't play particularly well, the only chances that the other team created were through restarts or bad giveaways. We have to limit those and deal better with them when they occur.

There were also some positives to take, although we had a tough time getting going, we scored 2 goals on restarts ourselves and should have done enough to get all 3 points. In the end though, we got a draw on the road against one of the other contenders in the A-10 playing very poorly. Points in the league are very valuable and we will take this one and move on." - Coach Giffard