Score: VCU 76, Charleston 71
Location: Charleston, S.C. (TD Arena)
Records: VCU 9-2, Charleston 5-6
The short story: Junior forward Marcus Santos-Silva led three VCU players in double figures with 17 points and 11 rebounds, and the Rams held Charleston to 27 percent shooting the second half in a road victory Wednesday night.
- Santos-Silva recorded his fourth double-double of the season. He was 8-of-13 from the floor
- Senior guard De'Riante Jenkins returned to his home state and supplied 16 points and four rebounds to the VCU cause
- Senior guard Marcus Evans added 16 for the Rams. He was 8-of-8 at the free throw line
- Grant Riller scored 15 of his game-high 26 points in the first half for Charleston
- VCU trailed by as much as 11 points in the game, but used a 13-3 burst, punctuated by an Evans 3-pointer and a steal and layup by sophomore guard KeShawn Curry on the ensuing inbounds play, to grab a 54-52 lead with 12:16 remaining
- Charleston briefly took a 55-54 lead on a 3-pointer by Brevin Galloway, but VCU promptly embarked on a 12-0 blitz that included a pair of buckets each from Santos-Silva and Jenkins to push ahead 66-55 with 6:38 left. The Rams would lead the rest of the way
- The Cougars shot 68 percent (17-of-25) in the first half, including 9-of-13 from 3-point land, but VCU locked down on defense in the second half and limited Charleston to 7-of-26 shooting in the second period. Charleston opened the second half 4-of-22
- VCU outrebounded the Cougars 37-29 and forced 15 turnovers
- The Rams outscored Charleston 42-16 in the paint
- Wednesday's game was VCU's first true road contest of the year
- VCU has won three straight games
VCU will head to Kansas, where they'll take on Wichita State on Saturday, Dec. 21 at noon. That game will be broadcast on ESPN2.