Score: Davidson 64, VCU 57
Location: Davidson, N.C. (Belk Arena)
Records: VCU 11-5 (2-1 Atlantic 10), Davidson 12-4 (3-0)
The short story: Redshirt junior guard Marcus Evans led VCU with 16 points and seven rebounds, but Davidson star Kellan Grady helped fuel a late run to push the Wildcats to the victory Saturday.
- Evans connected on 6-of-13 from the floor and did not commit a turnover for VCU
- Junior guard De'Riante Jenkins provided 10 points and four rebounds for the Rams, while sophomore forward Marcus Santos-Silva added five points, six rebounds and a blocked shot
- Grady paced the Davidson attack with a game-high 21 points. Luka Brajovic added 14 points, seven rebounds and five assists
- Davidson used a 14-0 run in the closing moments to secure the win. VCU led 55-48 with 4:10 remaining, but Grady hit a 3-pointer at the 3:52 mark to spark the Wildcats. Moments later, KiShawn Pritchett buried a trey from the corner to tie the game at 55-all with 2:29 left. On the ensuing possession, Brajovic scored on a baby hook for the go-ahead bucket with 1:39 on the clock. Davidson's Luke Frampton added a dagger 3-pointer a short time later to provide the Wildcats with a five-point cushion.
- VCU led by as many as 12 points in the second half. The Rams used a 14-0 burst early in the period to grab a 41-31 lead with 13:07 left. Evans extended the margin to 45-33 a short time later with a free throw line jumper
- Davidson converted 13 VCU turnovers into 14 points
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Saturday's game featured six ties and seven lead changes
- VCU held a 37-33 edge on the glass
- Evans has scored in double figures in six straight games. He has topped double digits in 14 of 16 games this season
VCU will host Dayton on Wednesday, Jan. 16 at 8 p.m. at the E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center. CBS Sports will broadcast that contest.