Score: VCU 75, Saint Louis 74 – OT
Location: St. Louis, Mo. (Chaifetz Arena)
Records: VCU 13-8 (5-3 A-10), Saint Louis 10-11 (3-5)
The short story: Senior Justin Tillman scored 19 points after halftime and sophomore guard De'Riante Jenkins hit a clutch game-tying 3-pointer late in regulation to lead VCU to a 75-74 overtime win Tuesday night in St. Louis.
- Tillman finished with 25 points, including six in overtime, and grabbed 12 rebounds to lead the Rams back from a 13-point deficit.
- Three other Rams scored in double figures, including Jenkins, whose clutch 3-pointer with 3.7 seconds left in regulation sent the game to overtime.
- Sophomore guard Mike'l Simms provided a number of critical plays and finished with nine points and seven rebounds for the Rams.
- D.J. Foreman and Javon Bess scored 20 points each to lead the Billikens.
- Tillman scored six of VCU's first eight points in overtime as the Rams pushed to a 69-65 lead with 1:25 left. Saint Louis pulled within a point on a traditional three-point play by Jordan Goodwin, but Simms provided the equalizer, a bucket plus the foul, with 41.7 left in the game. VCU's Johnny Williams later hit two free throws with 4.6 seconds on the clock, which rendered Davell Roby's 3-pointer at the end of the game virtually meaningless.
- VCU trailed for nearly the entire contest, but Jenkins canned a 3-pointer from the top of the arc with 3.7 seconds left in regulation to send the game to overtime tied at 61-all.
- The Rams trailed by as many as 13 points with 12:27 left, but locked down Saint Louis down the stretch. The Billikens did not record a field goal the final 8:27.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- VCU did not lead in the game until Tillman's bucket 23 seconds into overtime. The Rams led for a total of 2:26 of the game's 45 minutes.
- The Rams forced 18 Saint Louis turnovers and outscored the Billikens 14-8 on miscues.
- VCU has rallied from a double-digit deficit to win four times this season.
- VCU's bench outscored Saint Louis' 23-0.
The Rams will head to Fairfax, Va. to meet George Mason on Saturday, Jan. 27 at 2 p.m. That game will be televised on CBS Sports Network.