Dec 03, 2016
Miami Hoophall Invitational
Score: Illinois 64, VCU 46
Location: Miami, Fla. (AmericanAirlines Arena)
Records: VCU 6-2, Illinois 6-3
The short story: Mo Alie-Cox provided 10 points and three blocks down low, but VCU was unable to overcome 30-percent shooting in a loss to Illinois Saturday in Miami.
- In addition to Alie-Cox, junior Justin Tillman scored 8 points, grabbed 6 rebounds and blocked a shot.
- Redshirt freshman Samir Doughty added 9 first-half points for VCU, while Ahmed Hamdy contributed 7 points.
- VCU leading scorer JeQuan Lewis injured his ankle late in the first half, but returned, albeit hobbled, in the second.
- Leron Black led Illinois with 18 points and 8 rebounds, while Malcolm Hill added 16 points and 5 assists.
- VCU, which entered Saturday's game shooting .503 for the year, shot just .308 (16-of-53 in the contest).
- VCU struggled to get the ball in the paint and get good looks against Illinois' zone defense. The Rams were just 2-of-18 from the 3-point line.
- The Rams trailed 31-21 at the half, but got 5 points from Alie-Cox during an 11-0 burst early in the second half to draw within 35-34 with 14:56 remaining. Despite the run, VCU was never able to get over the hump and take the lead
- Morgan Maverick knocked down a pair of free throws for Illinois and Leron Black converted a layup off an offensive rebound to push the Illini ahead 44-38 with 8:04 remaining. Three straight buckets by Jalen Coleman-Lands opened Illinois' margin to 54-43 with 3:13 left.
- VCU stormed out of the gate, grabbing an 11-4 advantage as Illinois missed 11 of its first 12 shots. But the Illini used an 18-3 burst over a seven-minute span to open a 22-14 lead.
- VCU will host Georgia Tech on Wednesday, Dec. 7 at 7 p.m at the E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.