Score: VCU 63, Fordham 57
Records: VCU (23-9), Fordham (10-21)
Location: Barclays Center – Brooklyn, NY
Short Story: Behind a late run, VCU advanced to the Atlantic 10 quarterfinals after defeating Fordham, 63-57 on Thursday afternoon. Three players scored in the double figures with senior Treveon Graham leading the way with 22 points.
How It Happened:
- It was all freshman Terry Larrier in the opening minutes of the game, as the Bronx native, scored the first five points for the Rams.
- After Fordham grabbed an early advantage, VCU rallied as they went on a 9-0 run capped by a 3-pointer from Melvin Johnson, tying the game at 19-all. Fordham wouldn't go quietly as they retook the lead, 27-22, after back-to-back 3's from Brian Smith.
- Johnson answered again with a shot from behind the arc to put the Rams within two. With less than one minute remaining, Graham knocked down a 3-pointer to tie the game at 30-all heading into halftime.
- VCU took a five-point advantage in the second half, but both teams battled, tying the score three more times.
- A huge dunk from Mo Alie-Cox followed by a jumper from Jonathan Williams put the Rams ahead by three, 55-52, a lead they would maintain to secure their win, allowing them to advance to Friday's quarterfinal matchup.
The Rams will face Richmond, for the third time this season, tomorrow (March 13) in the A10 Quarterfinals. Tip-off is set for 2:30 p.m. and will be on NBC Sports.