Feb 28, 2015
- Score: Dayton 59, VCU 55
- Records: VCU (21-8, 11-5), Dayton (22-6, 12-4)
- Location: Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center, inside the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village – Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Sophomore Mo Alie-Cox recorded his first-ever double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds, but it wasn't enough as Dayton came to Richmond and pulled out a 595-55 victory in front of the 65th consecutive sellout at the Siegel Center. Senior Treveon Graham was the other Ram in double figures as he chipped in 12 points and six rebounds in the contest.
How It Happened
- Alie-Cox got the Rams started quickly, scoring the first five points of the game en route to 11-4 VCU lead after Doug Brooks knocked down a 3-pointer with 12:23 to play in the first half.
- Dayton would stay close, getting the lead down to two, but a jumper by freshman Jonathan Williams put the Rams up 23-18 with 6:46 to play in the half.
- Jordan Sibert would take over for the Flyers, leading Dayton on a 15-6 run to close out the half and take a 33-29 advantage into the break.
- Dayton would continue their strong play, pushing their lead to nine, 45-36, with 12:35 remaining.
- VCU would chip away and after Alie-Cox and freshman Terry Larrier each knocked down a pair of free-throws, the lead was just four, 51-47, with 4:57 left in the contest.
- Graham would then take over, scoring five points in less than 30 seconds to make it a one-point game at 53-52 with under four minutes remaining.
- The Rams would stay close in the final minutes and have two shots for a tie with time running out, but neither would fall and the Flyers would hold on for the 59-55 victory.
Beyond the Boxscore
- Alie-Cox has scored in double-figures in three of the past five games
- Graham is now just 22 points away from becoming the third player in VCU history to score 1,800 or more career points.
- VCU has now had fewer than 10 turnovers in six of its past eight games
- The Rams are back on the road in a critical A-10 matchup at Davidson on Thursday, March 5. Game time on ESPNU is set for 9 p.m.