Dec 02, 2014
- Score: VCU 66, Illinois State 62
- Records: VCU (5-2), Illinois State (3-3)
- Location: Redbird Arena – Normal, Ill.
- The Short Story: Havoc ratcheted up in the Heartland on Tuesday night as VCU men's basketball forced 21 turnovers in the final 25 minutes to gut out a 66-62 road win at Illinois State. Junior Melvin Johnson led all scorers with 19 points, including five three-pointers, while Treveon Graham added 17 points and seven rebounds on the evening.
How It Happened
- Illinois State came out of the gates firing, connecting on four 3-pointers in the first eight minutes of the game en route to a 20-8 advantage.
- The Rams started to chip away and with ISU leading 29-20 with 6:50 remaining in the first half, a 3-pointer from Graham ignited a 10-1 run that evened the score at 30-30.
- The teams would trade baskets, but eventually ISU would take a 35-33 win into the break.
- An old-fashioned three-point play by Jordan Burgess with 16:17 left on the clock gave VCU it's first lead of the game at 41-40.
- The final 15 minutes would feature six lead changes and four ties.
- With ISU leading 58-53 and under seven minutes remaining, Graham sparked a 9-2 run, scoring seven of the nine points, to give VCU a 62-60 lead with 3:11 to play.
- The Rams would never relinquish the lead thanks in large part to defensive stops and two big blocks from sophomore Mo Alie-Cox.
- The Rams return home for the first time since Nov. 20 when they host seventh-ranked UVA on Saturday. Game time is set for 2 p.m. and is on ESPNU.