Nov 29, 2014
- Score: Old Dominion 73, #14 VCU 67
- Records: VCU (4-2), Old Dominion (5-1)
- Location: Ted Constant Center – Norfolk, Va.
- The Short Story: Senior Treveon Graham tied a career-high with 34 points, but it wasn't enough as the 14th-ranked VCU men's basketball team dropped it's first true road game of the year at Old Dominion, 73-67. It ended a four-game winning streak against the Monarchs. Graham scored 22 of his 34 in the final 8:30 of the contest.
How It Happened
- Graham and sophomore Jordan Burgess hit 3-pointers in the first four minutes to even the game at 6-6.
- From there ODU went on a 17-2 run, including five 3-pointers en route to a 32-18 halftime lead.
- The Monarchs would balloon their lead to 18, but some extra effort from freshman Justin Tillman and a couple old fashioned three-point plays from Melvin Johnson, got the lead to 12 with nine minutes to play.
- ODU would convert at the charity stripe to extend the lead to 17 with 4:22 to play, but Graham would score eight points in less than a minute to make it a single-digit game, 57-48, with 3:19 remaining.
- Three times, VCU would get the lead to six over the final two minutes, but weren't able to close the gap as ODU went 24-30 from the stripe in the second half to seal the win.
Beyond the Box Score
- Graham's 34 points vaults him into 14th on the all-time scoring list, passing former teammate Juvonte Reddic. He is now just two points behind Tyron McCoy, who finished his career with 1,456.
- Sophomore Mo Alie-Cox finished with a career high 13 rebounds
- It was the first time in 23 games that VCU had outrebounded their opposition and lost. The last time it occurred was the 2013 Atlantic 10 Championship game.
- "This is a reminder that we need to continue to get better in a lot of areas, particularly on the defensive end" – Head Coach Shaka Smart
- "I think Tre realized the aggressiveness he needs to play with all them time." – Head Coach Shaka Smart
- "We've been this through before with early season losses. We just have to get better, plain and simple. It's not acceptable and us, as leaders, have to step up." – Senior Treveon Graham
- The Rams wrap up their four game road swing with a trip to Illinois State. Game time is set for 8 p.m. EST on Comcast SportsNet Plus and SNY.