Tournament: Irish Creek Intercollegiate
Location: The Club at Irish Creek (Kannapolis, N.C.)
Course Info: Par 71, 7,099 yards
VCU Finish: 11th
Top Ram: Alister Balcombe T12th (+4)
The short story: Senior Alister Balcombe fired a first-round 69 and eventually earned a share of 12th place to pace VCU at the Irish Creek Intercollegiate.
- Balcombe (69-73-75=217) shook off his slow spring start over the weekend, returning to the form that allowed him to book a pair of top-15 finishes in the fall.
- The senior from England weathered an up-and-down final round Sunday and closed with birdies on his final two holes. In Saturday's opening round, he recorded just one bogey and carded three birdies on the way to his first sub-70 round of the spring.
- VCU (291-304-308=903) placed 11th among a field that included four teams ranked inside the top 35 nationally. Clemson, ranked 15th finished 7-over for the weekend to collect the team championship. North Florida (+9), fourth-ranked Georgia Tech (+15) and Kansas (+22) followed. The Rams topped Atlantic 10 Conference rivals Davidson (13th) and Dayton (15th).
- Senior Osama Khan (72-77-77=226) placed 51st for the Rams, while freshman Sachin Kumar (75-76-79=230) was 63rd.
INSIDE THE SCORECARD
- Balcombe's success hinged on his play on Par 4's. He ranked second in the field in scoring on those holes (4.00).
- Balcombe also led the team with nine birdies. He also made par on 32 over the tournament's 54 holes. Khan recorded seven birdies for VCU.
VCU will take on crosstown rival Richmond on April 21 in the annual Black & Blue Cup, a match-play event.