Final Score: UMass 1, VCU 0
Location: Amherst, Mass.
Records: VCU (7-9, 4-4 A-10), UMass (10-8, 6-2 A-10)
The Short Story: After a scoreless regulation and two overtime periods, VCU pushed UMass into a penalty shootout that lasted 10 rounds before the Minutewomen scored the game-winning goal.
- Sasha Elliott made five saves during the game and stopped seven shootout attempts.
- Lynea Gregory had a team-high three shot attempts.
- Janne Wetzel and Maite Sturm each had a shot attempt.
- UMass outshot VCU 7-5 overall and held a slight 5-3 edge in shots on goal.
- With the loss, VCU has been eliminated from Atlantic 10 Championship contention.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Gregory had the first chance of the game in the 7th minute but her shot attempt from close range was saved by Marlise van Tonder.
- Gregory had another shot close range attempt saved in the 43rd minute.
- Elliot made a crucial save in the 53rd minute off a UMass penalty corner.
- VCU's only shot on goal in the overtime periods came again from Gregory in the 75th minute as her shot was saved.
- UMass won the penalty shootout in the 10th round (3-2).
VCU faces Maine on Nov. 3 at 1 p.m. in an neutral site matchup in Amherst, Mass.