Final Score: VCU 2, Ball State 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (Cary
Records: VCU (6-8, 4-3 A-10), La Salle (6-9, 3-3 A-10)
The Short Story: The Rams jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first 6:38 and outshot Ball State 21-4 as they held off the Cardinals.
- Svea Sturm recorded a goal and an assist on two shot attempts.
- Janne Wetzel scored a goal and tallied a season-high nine shots with seven shots on target.
- Maite Sturm had one shot on goal and an assist on Wetzel's goal.
- VCU outshot Ball State 21-4 overall and 16-4 in shots on goal.
- Ball State didn't record its first shot attempt until the 42nd minute and scored their lone goal in the 48th minute.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU opened the scoring in the fifth minute as Svea Sturm collected a rebound off Lynea Gregory's shot attempt and scored from the top of the arc.
- The Rams doubled their lead to 2-0 in the seventh minute off a penalty corner as Wetzel scored on an assist from both Maite and Svea Sturm.
- The Rams outshot the Cardinals 14-0 in the first half and led 2-0 at the half.
- Ball State got within 2-1 in the 48th minute on a goal from Michelle Shampton.
- VCU held off the Caridnals and didn't allow another Ball State shot for the remainder of the contest.
VCU faces UMass at 3 p.m. on Nov. 1 in Amherst, Mass. in the final regular season Atlantic 10 matchup.