Final Score: VCU 5, La Salle 0
Location: Richmond, Va.
Records: VCU (6-8, 4-3 A-10), La Salle (6-9, 3-3 A-10)
The Short Story: After taking an early 1-0 lead, VCU scored three goals in a six-minute span during the third quarter to put the game out of reach against La Salle.
- Emily van Hijfte scored two goals on one of her three shot attempts on the afternoon.
- Maite Sturm scored one goal and had two assists.
- Svea Sturm scored one goal and assisted on another.
- Janne Wetzel had one goal, one assist and a game-high five shot attempts.
- VCU's defense allowed just three total shot attempts as the Rams outshot the Explorers 18-3 overall and 14-2 in shots on goal.
- Cailin Bownas made two saves and recorded her first collegiate shutout.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams took a 1-0 lead in the fifth minute as Maite Sturm dribbled up the middle, splitting La Salle's defense and pushed a shot by the goalkeeper from close range.
- Svea Sturm put VCU up 2-0 in the third quarter on an assist from Field as her shot from near the top of the circle beat the keeper in the 38th minute.
- Maite Sturm scored her second goal of the game from the end line after a pass from Wetzel. VCU led 3-0 after that 41st minute goal.
- Emily van Hijfte scored to make it 4-0 in VCU's favor after a pass from the wing took a slight bounce off a defender's foot and she was able to corral the ball and beat the keeper.
- The final goal came in the 51st minute as Wetzel scored off a penalty corner with assists from Maite and Svea Sturm.
VCU hosts Ball State at 1 p.m. on Oct. 27 for Senior Day at Cary Street Field.