Final Score: VCU 2, Saint Louis 1
Location: Saint Louis, Mo.
Records: VCU (3-5), Saint Louis (0-8)
The Short Story: VCU scored two early goals and held off Saint Louis for the final 52 minutes for an Atlantic 10 victory.
- Emily van Hijfte scored the game-winning goal in the eighth minute and tied for the team-high with two shots.
- Janne Wetzel had one goal on her lone shot attempt for VCU and also recorded an assist.
- Bentley Zabicki had an assist for the Black and Gold and a shot on goal.
- Litiana Field had a team-high two shots on goal and three other Rams had one shot on target.
- VCU outshot Saint Louis 11-3 with a 7-2 margin in shots on goal.
- The Rams also had a 5-3 edge in penalty corners.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU opened the scoring in the fourth minute as Wetzel scored on a penalty corner off an insert from Bentley Zabicki.
- Saint Louis tied the game 1-1 in the 7th minute off a penalty stroke as Grace Golembiewski scored for the Billikens.
- Emily Van Hifjte scored the game-winning goal just 74 seconds later as she redirected a pass from Wetzel into the back of the net.
- VCU's defense allowed just a single shot in the final three quarters of the contest while the Rams outshot the Billikens 9-1 during that span.
VCU hosts Davidson on Oct. 4 at 3 p.m. at Cary Street Field.