Final Score: ODU 2, VCU 0
Location: Richmond, Va.
Records: VCU (2-3), ODU (4-1)
The Short Story: The Rams and Monarchs were deadlocked at 0-0 through three quarters before ODU scored twice in the fourth to take the victory.
- Maite Sturm had a team-high three shots and two shots on target.
- Four other Rams recorded one shot attempt with Mackenzie Williams having one shot on goal.
- Sasha Elliott made four saves for VCU in the loss.
- ODU had a slight 8-7 edge in total shots but a 6-3 advantage in shots on goal.
- ODU's Taylor Riley scored both goals for the Monarchs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU outshot the Monarchs 3-1 in the first quarter with the Rams' best chance coming in the 15th minute as Williams had her effort saved by ODU's Cam Macgillivray.
- ODU had the only two shots in the second quarter but Elliott saved both attempts, one coming in the 28th minute and the other in the 29th minute.
- The two teams were tied 0-0 heading into halftime.
- Janne Wetzel had her shot attempt off a penalty corner go just wide of the post in the 37th minute.
- The Monarchs scored the first goal of the contest in the 48th minute as Riley Taylor redirected a shot from Alice Demars past Elliott.
- ODU went up 2-0 in the 58th minute as Taylor again scored on a redirection, this time on a pass from Rebecca Birch.
VCU opens A-10 play at Richmond at 3 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 20.