Final Score: VCU 1, William & Mary 0 (Penalty Shootout)
Location: Richmond, Va.
Records: VCU (2-2), William & Mary (1-3)
The Short Story: It took two overtime periods and a penalty shootout to decide a scoreless game but Svea Sturm scored the game-decided goal to give VCU the hard-fought win.
- Litiana Field led the team with three shots including a team-high two shots on goal.
- Sasha Elliott recorded five saves in the cage for the Rams.
- Janne Wetzel recorded two shots.
- Lonica McKinney, Emily van Hijfte and Maite Sturm each recorded one shot on target.
- The Tribe outshot the Rams 11-8 overall but the two teams were even with each having five shots on goal.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU had the game's first chance in the 3rd minute as van Hijfte had her shot saved by the Tribe's Morgan Connor.
- Wetzel nearly put the Rams ahead in the 5th minute but her shot hit the post. Seconds later, Maite Sturm had her shot off a penalty corner also saved.
- The Tribe's first shot on the contest did not come until the 18th minute as Christie van de Kamp's effort was blocked. The two teams were deadlocked 0-0 at the half.
- Field had two chances back-to-back in the 57th minute but her first effort was saved and her second attempt bounced back into play off the post.
- Neither team was able to break through in regulation or overtime as the game went to a penalty shootout.
- VCU won the penalty shootout 4-2 with Svea Sturm converting the penalty that clinched the win for the Rams.
VCU hosts ODU at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 15 at Cary Street Field.