Final Score: Bucknell 2, VCU 1
Location: Richmond, Va.
Records: VCU (1-2), Bucknell (2-1)
The Short Story: VCU outshot Bucknell 14-12 overall and 9-5 in shots on goal but couldn't convert in the narrow loss.
- Litiana Field scored for the Rams and had three shot attempts.
- Janna Wetzel assisted on Field's goal and recorded a team-high five shot attempts. She had three shots on goal.
- Emily van Hijfte had two shot attempts while Svea Sturm and Bentle Zabicki each recorded one shot attempt.
- Sasha Elliott made three saves in the cage for the Rams.
- The Blakc and Gold held a 9-7 edge in penalty corners.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bucknell opened the scoring in the 8th minute as Brittany Willwerth tapped the ball in after the ball was fed in from the top of the arc by Kaelyn Long.
- Lynea Gregory had her shot saved in the 14th minute and the Rams trailed 1-0 at the end of the first quarter.
- The Rams's van Hijfte had her effort saved in the 20th minute to open the second quarter.
- Janna Wetzel had VCU's best chance in the second quarter after her shot on a penalty corner in the 26th minute forced a diving save from the Bucknell goalkeeper. VCU trailed 1-0 at the half.
- The Bison extended their lead to 2-0 in the 47th minute on a goal as Willwerth scored again.
- The Rams answered just 39 seconds later as Field scored from close range after a Wetzel pass from the wide side of the arc.
- VCU had another Wetzel shot saved on a penalty corner as VCU was unable to complete the comeback.
VCU hosts William & Mary at 3 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 13.