Final Score: Lafayette 2, VCU 1
Location: Easton, Pa.
Records: VCU (0-1), Lafayette (1-0)
The Short Story: VCU's Maite Sturm scored in the 53rd minute to bring VCU back within 2-1 but the Rams were unable to overcome a 2-0 deficit.
- Sturm, an All-Atlantic 10 Ppreseason selection, registered her first goal of the season.
- Litiana Field tallied an assist on Sturm's goal and had three shot attempts.
- The Rams had a 12-11 shot advantage for the game including a 6-1 edge in the final quarter.
- Sasha Elliott made eight saves, with five coming in the first quarter.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Leopards controlled the early stages of the game, outshooting the Rams 5-1 in the first quarter but Elliot stopped all five shot attempts.
- The second quarter was a defensive battle that saw just three shot attempts, two of which came from VCU.
- Lafayette scored the opening goal just after halftime in the 35th minute on an effort from Sam Di Maio.
- The Leopards extended their lead to 2-0 in the 49th minute on a goal from Felicitas Hannes.
- Sturm scored in the 53rd minute as VCU attempted to stage a comeback and outshot the Leopards 6-1 in the final 15 minutes.
VCU hosts LIU in the Rams home opener at 3 p.m. on Sep. 6 at Cary Street Field.