Final Score: Fordham 2, VCU 1
Location: Bronx, N.Y.
Records: VCU (39-18, 19-6 A-10), Fordham (36-22, 16-9 A-10)
The Short Story: VCU fell to Fordham 2-1 in their Atlantic 10 opener on Thursday. The loss sends the Rams to the consolation bracket of the tournament, where they will face off with cross-town rival Richmond in an elimination game on Thursday night.
- Brett Norwood led the way for the Rams offensively, posting one hit, one run scored, an RBI and a homerun
- Brandon Henson added two hits on Thursday
- Jack Schroeder and Paul Witt combined for two hits in the loss
- The Rams bullpen struck out twelve batters against Fordham, led by Connor Gillispie with ten.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Fordham jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first after scoring Melendez's single scored Vazquez.
- VCU tied the game in the bottom of the first after Brett Norwood's solo shot to right center cleared the wall. The play knotted the score at 1-1 heading into the second inning.
- Fordham took a 2-1 lead in the top of the fourth after Melendez scored on a VCU throwing error.
- The Rams defense, led by Connor Gillispie and Ben Dum shut Fordham down for the remaineder of the game, allowing no runs to cross the plate and keep the score within striking distance.
- VCU was unable to tie the game down the stretch, coming up just short in a 2-1 loss this afternoon.
VCU will be back in action later tonight, May 23, an elimination matchup with cross-town rival Richmond. First pitch for that game is TBD.